Sunday, December 11, 2011

Celebrating the Sabbath:The Sunday Southern Seven




Good Sabbath Family and Friends!

I am alive and well, thanks be to God! It's been a busy week; still settling in, still finding my way around, etc.. SC is wonderful, but it's hard not to long for home, family and friends during this time, so if it may seem like I'm a bit home-sick, you are correct--but seriously, how could someone not be during the holidays? (I am coming home in 2 weeks-YAY!) Anyways, here are my Sunday Southern 7.

1.) In preparing for Christmas I decorated my little place. (The lighting in my apt is not ideal, so please excuse the pictures.) Although I forgot to photograph my tree, I do have to say it is one of my favorite things. I've always loved how the Christmas lights shine and reflect the colors of the glass and the ornaments that are hanging on the tree. When I was little, my Mom used to turn off all the lights in the house and sit around the lit Christmas tree. She would tell us stories about Christmas's when she was growing up, Chistmas's when we were growing up, stories about Advent and the Nativity, but one thing she would always do was sing us Christmas songs. I would strategically lay right underneath the beautifully lit tree during this time, in hopes I would fall asleep under a blanket of colorful lights and ornaments, however it never worked and when story/song time was over I was back in bed. It's funny though, but I think some things never lose their charm and I still love Christmas lights and looking at the tree all lit up! I love the peace late at night or early in the morning, sitting by the tree and contemplating the stillness and peace the birth of our Savior, the Light of the World, brought to us. I think about Mary and Joseph and the many thoughts flowing through their hearts at that time. I've even been thinking a lot about the world we live in, and how even unbeknownst to many of it's members, we still long for a Savior. You can see in the midst of all the Holiday hustle and bustle, the so-called materialism that can try to take over the season, lies an absolute, underlying Truth. If you look at society's actions, you can see at the very core transcends a deep longing for Light amid this darkness. A deep Peace is found in a lowly manager but it will take time, patience and a lot of love and prayer, but we will be transformed... Mmmm Love!
(A little decor)

2.) Whew! Next item. I have been assembling a lot this week. A chair, shelves, cube units... I kind of feel like Bob Villa (sans facial hair, overalls, & bushy hair). But in all realness, am quite thankful I live in a world where there is this convenience and I'm able to put together these things. Rock on God!
(Ahh peace...thanks IKEA.)


3.) Two years ago my sister and her family gave to me for Christmas a Glazed Terra Cotta Roasting Pot. Now some of you may be wondering, what in the world is that. Let me tell you....MAGIC! Anything you cook in this pot o'wonder will have you exclaiming "Taste and See the GOODNESS of the LORD!!" You basically fill it up with water an hour or so before you are going to use it, then put in your protein/veggies, bake it and voila! let the GOODNESS happen. You see what happens is that the moisture from the water that was soaking in the pot, steams and roasts the food, making it taste sooooooooo good. I've done chicken, beef, italian sausages w/peppers and onions and all that good stuff, but today I made Martha Stewart's Lemon Roasted Chicken. It was sooo good! (NOTE: I didn't make the dilled orzo or the arugula salad she has in the recipe, but have made them both before and they are fabulous)

(Oh Martha! You do put out some rockin' recipes!)


4.) This past Thursday, the Catholic Church celebrated the feast of the Immaculate Conception. This is a Holy Day of Obligation in the Church and since I work for the Church I had the day off, hence the true meaning of the word HOLIday (which literally translates to HOLY DAY and I still find it funny people get offended and think that is a PC term...eh God Bless 'em. Amen. AMEN!). It was a great day, and I was able to assemble and rest and celebrate the Conception of Mary, the Blessed Virgin Mother of Christ...oh how I love her.

5.)As I continue to settle in I'm finally finding the time to cook. Now if you know me, you know cooking is like therapy for me. It allows me a canvas to create something beautiful and tasty! Awhile back I worked a short while for a travel company (another story for another day). On a Wine tour in Tuscany I was introduced to the lovely ingredient of 'Truffle Oil'. Now, if you have never had a truffle before, any expectation you might be inclined to have, is wrong! Although, truffles are indeed a mushroom, they taste nothing like the sort and have this savory garlicky wonderfulness to them. Anyways, I found truffle oil in the store and roasted up some yellow potatoes and sprinkled with truffle oil...magnifico! Preheat your oven to 425 slice your yellow taters in a thick julienne cut, spray your baking sheet with Olive oil place potatoes on the sheet, spray again with oil, sprinkle salt and let bake for about 20-30 minutes. (Flip the potatoes about half way through). Once they're done sprinkle a little truffle oil over them and devour! (NOTE: The best thing about the truffle oil is a little goes a long way.And if you want to be Wild and Crazy shave a little Parmesan cheese on it, then bring your fingers to your lips and kiss them away, because you can't believe how good this tastes!!)
(Can you smell that goodness?)

6.) This past Friday we had our staff work party, and it was so much fun! Now mind you, I was the youngest there, but there was wine, beer, great food, dancing and lots of laughter and fun. I met a few parishioners who are from Chicago/Peoria area which was such a treat! As I was talking with one of the ladies, the topic of 'transitioning' and 'home' came up. I do not regret moving out here, I am confident this is where I am to be; but I do miss my family and friends, and just knowing where on earth I am. I realized how much I have taken for granted the gift of familiarity. The gift to know and be known. Like any new environment, it takes time to figure everything out. But the gift to talk to family, see pictures of the cutest nieces and nephews one could ever imagine, have great discussions or quick texts with inside jokes from friends back home, that is a gift to which I thank God for so abundantly showering those blessings upon me.


7.) Lastly, due to request of the said cutest nieces and nephews one could ever imagine or wish for (yes like any good Auntie I am completely biased and believe these little people to be some of the most incredible human beings I have met thus far in my life). Here is a picture of me! E, J, N & E I love you and miss you soooo very much and cannot wait to see you and hold and chase you in two weeks! Thank you for always reminding me of the simple beauties and joy God blesses us with each moment. And to M & D thank you for giving life to these 4 precious little saints who truly make the world a better place. I'll end with this quote which is one of my favorites, "From what I can tell just from being an aunt, [motherhood] is the greatest thing that ever happened." -Rachel Zoe

( SASSY SMOOCHES and SMILES)

Have a beautiful week! If I can stay away, I'll be attending the festivities tonight held by our Hispanic Ministry for the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe!

2 comments:

  1. The little ones were just talking yesterday about that time we gave Auntie Rachie a pot for Christmas. Also, Rach I was just telling David the other night about how we used to sit in the dark and look at the Christmas Tree. We let the kids camp out in the living room so they can fall asleep to the lights...

    I love your blog Rach :) PS...Have you watched Little Women yet??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet little ones!! No I haven't watched Little Women yet...I know I will be weeping while watching that one :0)

    ReplyDelete