Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thoughts from a Thursday: The Connection between Coffee and Christ



**I would like to throw out this disclaimer first; that in no way am I holding Coffee up as an idol or anything equal to God. This post is merelya simple connection I made earlier in the week that I wanted to share with you all. Praise God who can reveal His wonder in the most simple forms of creation
.**

After a wonderful weekend of being home in good ol' Illinois (or Illinoise as some folks like to call it) I returned to my new dwellings in the Southeast. Now for those of you who are acquainted with US geography, you know that upon my return to the Midwest, I gained a luscious hour of sleep each night (it was actually more praise to the Lord for my Mom & Sister who were so gracious to let their Rachie-Poo sleep to her heart's content). However, as the said geography would have it, upon my arrival back to the SE (Southeast) I lost an hour of sleep. Now mind you many of you have small little ones and basically get about one hour of sleep each night, but in the state of life that I am currently living, one hour of sleep has the ability to sadly make or break me (this sista' loves her sleep and needs to be more disciplined).

So as I procrastinated to the absolute very last minute to awaken Monday morning to get ready for work, I missed out on my morning coffee (which I sadly was 'too tired' the night before to set the auto switch--I know, I know, but hey some people work out their salvation more visibly than others). I then proceeded with my whole routine that morning in a dull, lifeless fog. Whatever it was I just could not get my act together. Thankfully the time approached for lunch, and I drove myself home anxious to get some sustenance in my body. As I ate my lunch, I brewed some coffee in thoughts that it would help lift this fog that was becoming more dense as time progressed. I finished my yummy quesadillas and poured myself a cup of coffee with some Peppermint Mocha creamer (in the lovely travel mug my sister L left at my place when she visited the weekend before) and headed out the door. I kid you not, but within 10 minutes, I felt the fog lift and the tasks I needed to accomplish that day were now clear and manageable. Okay that's great Rachel, but where does the connection come in, you may ask...

Well as I was drinking my coffee O Holy Night came on the radio and the line a weary world rejoices struck me. "Hmmm.....a world that is weary (fatigued, tired, exhausted) and in a fog of restlessness now snaps out of that state and rejoices, is rejuvenated, over the birth of the Savior, Christ the Lord" kind of like my cup of coffee--right?!? I was weary, in a fog, exhausted from all the traveling, packing, unpacking and traveling over the past month, and with a drink of a cup of coffee I became rejuvenated. See the connection?

You see, how many times in our lives do we get caught in the monotony and exhaustion of a 'doing' life? We become exhausted of the tasks that are set before us and feel exhausted and defeated even before we begin to take on the responsibilites that we have been entrusted with. But what if I were to tell you about the Cup that will give you the means to give you take away your weariness and exhaustion? He's true, He does exist and I have experienced the wonderful fruits of His goodness in lifting off my burdens and weariness and clothing me with the lightness of joy and peace(more stories to come for another day). But He did invite us to...

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS."-Matthew 11:29

So my friends, that is my connection. As coffee breaks the fog developed from my lack of sleep and adjusting to Eastern Tim Zone, Christ breaks the fog of weariness, doubt, fear, hopelessness, and all other things that can weigh me down in this world. Coffee may last a few hours, but Christ is eternal. In preparing for the Birth of our Lord during this Advent season, may we lay down our weariness at the foot of the manager and lean on Him who is gentle and humble in heart, for there we will find rest for our souls and rejoice with the world.

Happy Coffee Drinking!

1 comment:

  1. Great connection, Rach. Can't wait for your next post. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete